Riots and Civil Commotion Claims

Claim Type

Riots and Civil Commotion Claims




In light of the disturbances that have taken place in a number of  city centres, and potential for this to continue in the future, we feel it's important that you understand how your insurance policy may respond if you are unfortunate to be caught up in it. We have compiled the following guidance notes which we hope you will find useful.

Am I Covered?
Most insurances will provide cover for loss or damage arising from riot and civil commotion but you will need to check your policy wording to ensure the peril of riot & civil commotion is operative.  Also read the Terrorism clause in the policy.

What is Classed as a Riot?
The current definition of a riot is:

1) 12 or more persons must be present together and use or threaten unlawful violence for a common purpose and the conduct of them (taken together) must be such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety

2) It is not necessary for any Claimant to show intent to use force to resist such opposition

3) It is not necessary for anyone to be present and actually be harmed

What are my Obligations?
It is important that, if you have been or do become affected by the current situation, or feel that you may have a claim arising from these disturbances, that you notify us of any potential claims as soon as possible of the relevant incident.

You must file a police report if you sustained property damage as a result of a Riot & Civil Commotion as soon as possible after the alleged incident.

What Else Do I have to Do?
You must be able to quantify and substantiate your lossesThis is where can be a great help to you.

Naturally we hope that you and your businesses remain safe and unaffected by these outbreaks of rioting and civil commotion. However, if you do need further guidance or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be pleased to help you.

Call for a consultation to explore all your options in dealing with your riot and civil commotion damage claim. 1-800-303-2591