Collapse Damage

Claim Type

Collapse Damage - What is a Covered Collapse?



Collapse - like the "glass breakage" peril, is NOT shown as a peril but is listed as an "Other Coverage" in the policy.  Collapse covers physical loss to covered property involving abrupt falling down or caving in of a building or any part of it caused by:

  • Perils insured against in the policy
  • Hidden decay
  • Hidden vermin or insect damage
  • Weight of contents (equipment, animals or people)
  • Weight of rain collected on the roof
  • Use of defective materials/methods when the collapse occurs during construction or remodeling

Collapse does not include:

  • Settling
  • Cracking
  • Shrinking
  • Bulging
  • Expansion of a building

The following items are excluded under the collapse coverage:

  • Awnings and Fences
  • Patios and swimming pools
  • Underground pipes, flues, drains, cesspools and septic tanks
  • Foundations, retaining walls and docks

In Florida, collapse adds a new set of conditions to the DP 2 & 3 policies.

10. In Forms DP 00 02 and DP 00 03, Collapse is deleted and replaced by the following:

10. Collapse

a. With respect to this OTHER COVERAGE:

(1) Collapse means an abrupt falling down or caving in of a building or any part of a building with the result that the building, or part of the building, cannot be occupied for its intended purpose.
(2) A building or any part of a building that is not in danger of falling down or caving in is not considered to be in a state of collapse.
(3) A part of a building that is standing is not considered to be in a state of collapse even if it has separated from another part of the building.
(4) A building that is standing or any part of a building that is standing is not considered to be in a state of collapse even if it shows evidence of cracking, bulging, sagging, bending, leaning, settling, shrinkage, or expansion....

Tips for Immediate Action
  • Make personal safety your first priority.
  • Stay out of your home or business if it is severely damaged. Don't go inside until local authorities say it’s safe for you to return.
  • Check for damage to gas, electric, or sewage systems, as well as your chimney, when you are able to do so safely.
  • Don’t use damaged systems until professionals have checked them. If gas is leaking, turn it off at the main shut-off valve, leave the building immediately.
  • Watch out for broken glass, sharp objects and exposed electrical wires.
Report Your Claim

Call 1-800-303-2591 as soon as possible to file a claim if you have damage from a collapse.  Provide at least a general description of your damage. A representative of our firm will walk you through your claim, recording the details.

If you have serious damage, we will make every effort to get to you within 24 hours.

If you aren't sure about what temporary repairs are necessary to ensure safety after a collapse, can help. As part of documenting the damage for your claim, save all receipts from any temporary fixes and take a lot of photographs.

If you can’t live in your home, your insurance company will pay additional living expenses, as noted in your policy, while the damage is assessed and your home is being repaired or rebuilt. will Document Your Damage

As soon as possible, members of  will make a thorough list of items that the collapse damaged. We can process your claim faster if you assist us in providing a list of damaged personal property. Document the damage with photos, video, bills and receipts. Also, don’t throw out damaged items—especially expensive items.  As for the building damage, we will scope and evaluate the damage and prepare the report necessary for the insurance company.

Call for a consultation to explore all your options in dealing with your collapse damage claim. 1-800-303-2591